September 5th

So You Wanna Be an Artist!

DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP

When creating and responding to each other’s e-Portfolios, students must be aware of how they use their “Digital Citizenship”, much like common courtesy when dealing with people in the community.

So…What is Digital Citizenship?  Think about and discuss the many ways we use the Internet…and by the way, whenever you type the word Internet, the “I” is capitalized.  Reflect on a time when you did something on the Internet that you wish you hadn’t done or could take back.

Assignment

Go to Glogster and sign up for your class account. The teacher code is: 6U74AD.  Remember your login should follow the class format (lastnamefirstname…Lastname + four digit password). Once you are registered, search for Digital Citizenship or Internet Safety Glogs.  Look at and interact with some of the Glogs you find.  Then create your own Glog by creating an interactive Poster for Online Safety Awareness.  Make sure you include at least one video and that everything on your poster is linked to either actual case studies or information that’s useful for teenagers or small children.  Keep your theme the same; if your audience is elementary children, make sure all the links are appropriate for that age group.  I have included a sample game that would be appropriate for younger children to give you an idea of what I mean.  Remember, other people will come across your Glog so be sure your links work and that the information is factual, relevant, and age appropriate; also name it something relevant NOT “My First Glog”.

Glogster is FREEWARE so you can also work on this assignment from home.

***You may ask questions in the comment box for this post. If you know an answer to a classmate’s question, I expect you to post an answer.

Resources:

Glog Grading Rubric

A Game Link to get you started

There is a video “Be The Change” on the class home page. You may use if it follows your theme.

To submit your work:

Copy your new Glog Url and place it in the comment box below. You must comment on at least two of your classmate’s Glogs.  The link must work!  Put your Glog on your e-Portfolio.

***Glogs are due September 16th

OBJECTIVES

1. Demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
  2. Identify how to employ effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills.
  3. Examine critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and demonstrate creativity and resourcefulness.
  4. Organize ideas and then create IT-related oral and written messages to communicate those ideas.
  5. compare and contrast printed and digital communications products that demonstrate appropriate and inappropriate use of design and layout principles.
  6. Demonstrate an ability to accept constructive criticism.
  7. Demonstrate a positive work ethic, having a positive attitude toward taking direction, and motivation toward accomplishing tasks.
  8. Demonstrate the use of technology to participate in self-directed and collaborative activities.
  9. Publish and save information in a variety of ways, including print or digital formats.
  10. Analyze and evaluate projects for design, content delivery, purpose, and audience.
  11. Describe the importance of extracurricular activities in preparing for careers.
  12. Identify the  leadership opportunities available through the Business Professionals of America (BPA).
  13. Describe the role of BPA in career fields.
  14. Explore and analyze the structure of BPA.
  15. Examine how BPA’s strategic and operational plans are formulated, including how it uses planning tools.
  16. Examine processes for accomplishing an organization’s goals using available resources.
  17. Examine the roles of the BPA officers and participate in PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURES for the BPA organization.​
  18. Demonstrate proper use of system management tools
  19. Define digital citizenship and digital footprint
  20. Identify ways to communicate safely online.
  21. Examine issues concerning Internet security (including computer viruses and spam) and online predators.
  22. Explain and identify the risks/dangers of working on an insecured network/ or in an unsecured environment.
  23. Analyze the benefits and risks of networked computing.
  24. Identify the rists of posting personal and work information on the Internet as it relates to identity theft (and other potential dangers).
  25. Examine what a web browser is, what it does (render web pages), and how it does this.
  26. List and examine the major/most popular web browsers and their features.
  27. Examine how URLs and associated URL protocols work.
  28. Dissect and identify the various components of a URL (in other words, explain how to read and understand a URL).
  29. Demonstrate an understanding of how to use the Internet efficiently for work.
  30. Analyze ethical issues and problems associated with computers and information systems.
  31. Describe and analyze copyright laws related to file sharing and Internet regulatory control.
  32. Explain and predict the consequences of software piracy on developers and the role of relevant enforcement organizations in software piracy.
  33. Compare and contrast the pros and cons of hacking and cracking.
  34. Identify criteria for conducting searches on the Internet, including analyzing whether an online source is reputable or not.
  35. Define ethical use of Internet/online resources using citations (both formal and informal).
  36. Examine the ethical and unethical use of Internet and online sources.
  37. Demonstrate citing a source.
  38. Identify ways in which technology is used in the workplace
  39. Identify benefits of using technology in business
  40. Describe how business is conducted over the Internet
  41. Identify ways to use copyrighted works fairly
  42. Model ethical and legal acquisition of digital information, including the correct citing of sources through established methods.
  43. Demonstrate proper netiquette and acceptable use policies when using networks.

Uses a mixture of both DIM and DAA TEKS standards.

TIPS AND TRICKS TO BECOMING A PROFESSIONAL

A professional greeting is ALWAYS met with a handshake.  

More BPA

Students are chosen for BPA Regionals based on the highest test scores.  More practice tests can be found under the BPA Resources Tab.

Students are chosen for UIL Academics based on participation and placings at BPA Regionals.

Students are considered for 2nd semester Yearbook based on overall grades and participation in class.

30 thoughts on “September 5th

• JoJo,
      Great choice of Video! That was a tragic story and it’s hard to believe no one did anything to stop him. The comments under it are also unbelievable. I also liked that you put the effects of Cyberbullying. Sometimes we can’t see that a person is being bullied but if we can detect the signs, we might can help intervene. Good Job!

• Brooke, I thought you did a really good job picking your artifacts for the teenage group. I especially liked the Zombie Attack Game.

• I liked your links. You took a different take on Internet Safety and you showed good information. Good Job! Not sure about the music, it is kind of stalkish.

• I really like the look of your poster; the background and animated graphics. It makes a teenager want to stay and see what’s on it. I also really liked the Broken Friendship video about giving your best friend your passwords. Great Information!

• Oh my…I love the song, it is perfect for your Glog about teenaged suicides because of bullying. I like the way you touched on the sports and coaching and also the game was cute. Great Theme!

• I liked the background and the use of graphic animations. I couldn’t believe the comments in Ryan’s story. People are so immature and uncaring. He died and still they comment senseless stupid remarks. That is like they are still bullying the parents and loved ones that might click on it and read it. Great Job!

• Good start! I liked your video Cyberteens take on Cyberbullying. The message was good and being like reality TV, it holds your attention. I remember when the story about the Meiers came out. It was tragic! Another mother created that whole mess!

• Great song choice…I enjoyed listening to it while I went through your Glog. I also like that you used the .gov site and “Ways to PREVENT Cyberbullying”.

• Valerie, Wow! I really like you Glog. From the game, Webinauts and the Family contract, it is full of good information. I like the kidsmart site and the one with the princess’s password. All very relevant. I also like the look of your poster, your design and the header are great. Good Job

• Angelia,
      Very nice Glog. I like the clouds for the background. I did not know they had a TIME Magazine for kids. Good Link. I also liked the interview with the little gairl and Iggey and Rasper’s Game. Good Job.